Deadline for submissions: 13 December 2013, 5pm
Production residency: 20 January – 2 March 2014
Public presentation: 6 – 9 March 2014
Eastern Bloc’ media lab is a space for experimenting, learning, theorizing and creating – a place to further develop systems-based, networked, generative and hybrid practices through an artist-led discourse. The lab is a site of convergence for artists (both emerging and established), professionals, students, technicians, theorists and curators – encouraged to work side by side, supporting one another conceptually as well as technically.
Eastern Bloc’s residency program, with its three residencies per year (Fall, Winter, Spring), is a chance for artists and audiences to critically engage in the artistic process, with a focus on DIY and open source culture as well as and the political discourse surrounding contemporary digital culture, and a special consideration for pedagogy and technological democratization.
For the upcoming Winter 2014 residency, artists (or artist collectives) are asked to submit a project in one or more of the following disciplines: interactive installation/performance, Net art, bio art, audio/video installation, A/V performance, sound performance, public intervention.
Please include in the project description how the proposed project responds to the following criteria (the artistic merit of your application will be judged based on these criteria):
– Puts forward a process of exploration/risk-taking/experimentation within a public context
– Presents critically engaged content
– Exploits the material framework and conceptual parameters of the mediums and technologies used
– Use of multiple platforms/systems/networks and/or use of open source technologies
– Explores current trends in digital culture
– Investigates the digital language and its norms and structures
– Looks to build upon or challenge the normative structures of New Media art production and exhibition
The selected artist or artist collective will benefit from a 6 week production residency in the Eastern Bloc lab (20 January – 2 March 2014), followed by 4 days to present the completed work or work-in-progress in one of the centre’s gallery spaces (6 – 9 March 2014). The artist or collective will benefit from the following services:
– Open access to the research & production lab
– Guided technical assistance during the 6 week production period (provided by the Lab Coordinator and/or a lab volunteer)
– Access to the lab’s equipment and tools (click here for detailed list of lab equipment and tools)
– Access to small storage space for materials and personal equipment
– A maximum of 10 hours of in-gallery technical assistance for the installation and dismantle of the project before and after the presentation period
– Photo and video documentation of the residency process
The selected artist or collective is required to give at least one workshop, on a related subject, in the lab (open to Eastern Bloc’s members and the general community, maximum of 15 participants); as well as give an artist talk (open to the general public) about the project created while in residency at Eastern Bloc. The selected artist or collective will receive a total fee of $1150 for the residency (including production, presentation and workshop).
Artists must submit the following as attachments to an email:
– Artistic statement (max 250 words)
– Detailed description of the project including technical requirements (max 500 words)
– Bio and up-to-date CV of all collaborators
– Support material of current or past works (max. 10 images and/or 2 audio/video excerpts, no more than 20 MB)
Please do not send any information in the body of the email or via web links. Your submission will not be considered if submission guidelines are not respected.
All completed submissions must be sent by email to no later than 5pm on Friday, December 13th, 2013.
Céline Escouteloup, Communication
7240 rue Clark
H2R 2Y3, Montréal, QC
tél. : 514-284-2106