IMMA is delighted to announce the 2018 Open Call for four International artists to take up residency at IMMA in 2019. IMMA’s international residencies support process and research based practices and invites interested candidates to demonstrate through application how this opportunity would expand, complement and/or challenge their artistic development.
IMMA is seeking proposals from international visual arts practitioners. IMMA’s international residencies support process and research based practices and invites interested candidates to demonstrate through application how this opportunity would expand, complement and/or challenge their artistic development in a timely and transformative way.
Through its residency programme IMMA supports research and production to encourage dialogues with various publics, museum programming and the wider cultural activities in Ireland. IMMA welcomes proposals which engage the national / international contexts of the museum, opening new perspectives to diversify the role of the museum and assist access to creative and critical processes for public and peers alike.
The IMMA International Residency offers the following support to selected artists:
● Use of a large studio at IMMA for a duration of 2 – 6 months.
● Separate accommodation at IMMA is available for a duration of the residency.
● A bursary award of €500 per month.
● Travel expenses are not covered by this award.
As a programming condition IMMA International Residents are expected to:
● Facilitate an introductory information session with museum staff.
● Avail of opportunities to engage in activities related to IMMA Programming.
● Deliver occasional overviews of work in progress for IMMA and its audiences through selected public platforms such as digital, talks & events, open studios etc.
● A significant occupancy of IMMA’s residential resources is expected for the duration of the opportunity.
● IMMA welcomes applications from international visual arts practitioners.
● Applications are assessed against the following criteria 1) the artistic quality, 2) the potential contained within the applicants practice, 3) how this may be a transformative, important or an activated opportunity through the support of a residency at IMMA and 4) the timeliness of this opportunity in the artists career.
● Applications from individuals and collectives (max. 4 people) will be considered, collectives should nominate one person from the group to submit an application upon their behalf.
● Selection as part of a group does not equate to individual selection.
● Individuals currently in undergraduate or postgraduate education or who will be for the timing of this award are not eligible.
● You must be a professional practicing artist with an active track record in exhibition making and/or art engagement within recent years.
● Open Call commences on Wednesday 04 July 2018 at 14:00hrs GMT/Irish time.
● Application deadline closes on Wednesday 15 August 2018 at 14:00hrs GMT/Irish time.
● Selection is complete by late October 2018 .
● Programming period, November 2018 – January 2020.
REQUIREMENTS OF THE RESIDENT
● The successful applicant should be fluent in English.
● It is a condition for the award that the successful applicant must carry all necessary insurances. Evidence will be required of these insurances before the commencement of the residency – http://visualartists.ie/advocacy-advice-membership-services/resources/insurance/
● IMMA requests that support is credited in works, publications and projects emerging during and resulting from the residency, whether this is done through credit in text format or logo.
● To be responsible for all matters concerning visas and valid travel documents, IMMA can provide supporting letters to assist with applications.
● Engage in clear communication about travel schedules.
● Advance notice and open dialogues required about specific accommodation / work requirements or requests.
● To facilitate IMMA with documentation requests, interviews and members events where necessary / appropriate.