STRABAG ART AWARD INTERNATIONAL
RULES OF AWARD
The Strabag Artaward International is an award for the promotion of art in the fields of painting and drawing for artists of up to 40 years of age. This award succeeds to the former Strabag Art Award, which had been awarded to Austrian artists over 13 years.
PARTICIPATING COUNTRIES 2009 – 2011:
AUSTRIA, HUNGARY, CZECH REPUBLIC, SLOVAKIA
From 2009 to 2011 artists from four countries, Austria, Hungary, the Czech Republic and Slovakia are eligible to take part in the Strabag Art Award International. The participating countries will be changing every three years. Austria as the home country of Strabag SE is a permanent starter.
1. CONDITIONS OF PARTICIPATION / RECOURSE TO THE LAW
• Eligible to take part in this award are artists from Austria, Hungary, the Czech Republic and Slovakia. Participants must either be citizens of one of the four countries or must have had permanent residence there for at least 5 years.
• At the time, when the Art Award is presented on 30 June 2011, participants must not have had their 41st birthday.
• A precondition for taking part in this award is that the artist has a systematic, artistic education (students or graduates of art academies, colleges or universities).
Self-taught artists are not eligible to take part.
• Any recourse to courts of law in connection with an application is excluded.
With their participation, all participants accept the judgment of the jury.
• Every participant is a copyright holder within the meaning of Art. 10, par.1 of the Austrian Copyright Law. Even if prize-winning, the submitted works of art will remain the property of the participant. However, the participant agrees, without limitation or qualification, that in connection with the Strabag Art Award his/her works of art may be presented, photographed and displayed free-of-charge.
• Works of art submitted must not have been awarded any public prize (given away by a territorial authority) and have to be in personal property of the artist.
2. PRIZE FUND
• The main prize of the Art Award is EUR 15,000.
• In addition, there are four runners-up prizes of EUR 5,000 each.
• After the award ceremony and the collective exhibition of all the prize-winning works, each of the five winners will get a solo exhibition at the Art Lounge of the Strabag Haus in Vienna.
• Works of art of the award winners will be bought for the Strabag Art Collection.
• The nominated artists are invited to stay as artists-in-residence at the Strabag Art studio.
3. ONLINE APPLICATION / WWW.STRABAG-KUNSTFORUM.AT: 17 JAN – 20 FEB 2011
Artists interested in participating can apply online at www.strabag-kunstforum.at (art award) from 17 January to 20 February 2011. All applicants have to adhere strictly the rules of award.
The application form must be filled in correctly in German or English according to the instructions provided on the Internet.
The following entries are mandatory:
• Short biography, exhibitions
• Three digital photos (RGB jpg, 72 dpi, max. B 1024 or H 768) of the works of art intended to be entered into the competition with techniques, dimensions and insurance values stated. The works of art must date from 2009 to 2011 and must not be bigger than 2.50 m x 2 m. Eligible artistic media are painting and drawing (no thematic specifications).
Installations, videos, digital prints or photo art are not admitted.
• Up to three images of older works to supplement the application (optional).
4. PRELIMINARY JURY ONLINE: 21 FEBRUARY – 13 MARCH 2011
The preliminary jury is made up of the same members as the final jury (see fig.6). On the basis of the material submitted online, the preliminary jury selects the candidates who will then be presented to the final jury. From 15 March 2011, all artists will be notified in writing. The artists invited to take part in the final round will receive all further information for submitting their original works. Gallery of nominees: www.strabag-kunstforum.at (art award)
5. SUBMISSION OF ORIGINALS: 28 – 30 MARCH 2011
All artists invited to the final round must submit the three originals specified in the online application. The submitted originals must be marked on the back with the labels received by mail/post and have to be packed very well. The artist him/herself must organize and bear all costs and risks of delivery of the works of art to and from the Strabag office. The works of art are insured from the date of their arrival at the respective Strabag head office until the date when they are collected again.
• The works of art of participants not living in Austria must be delivered to the Strabag head office of the respective country (see page 3) between 28 and 30 March 2011 (Monday to Wednesday: 9 a.m. – 4 p.m.).
From there, the works of art are collectively forwarded to Vienna.
• The works of art of Austrian participants must, without exception, arrive at the Art Lounge in the attic of the Strabag Haus between 28 and 30 March 2011 (Monday to Wednesday: 9 a.m. – 4 p.m.). In the case of large-format pieces (2m+) please call 01/22422-1848 to give prior notice of delivery.
6. FINAL JURY, STRABAG ART LOUNGE VIENNA: 6 APRIL 2011
On 6 April 2011, the final jury will come together at the Strabag Art Lounge in Vienna to select the winners of the Strabag Art Award International. Following this, all participants will be informed of the nominations/return of the originals. The prize-winning artworks stay for the collective exhibition at Strabag Kunstforum. The winner of the Art Award and the four other nominated artists will be announced at the award ceremony in June.
Members of the jury:
Barnabás Bencsik, Director of Ludwig Museum, Budapest
Zsolt Petrányi, Director of Mücsarnok, Kunsthalle Budapest
Karel Císař, Curator, Expert of young art, Prague
Taťjana Langášková, Director of Czech Centre, Vienna
Juraj Čarný, Curator, Gallerist, Bratislava
Beata Jablonská, Curator, Arthistorian, Academy of Fine arts and Design, Bratislava
Carl Aigner, Director, Landesmuseum Lower Austria, President of ICOM Austria
Edith Raidl, Expert and collector of contemporary Austrian art, Vienna
Wilhelm Weiss, Barbara Baum, Director and Curator, Strabag Kunstforum
7. COLLECTION OF ORIGINALS: 13 – 15 APRIL 2011
• The works of art of participants not living in Austria will be returned to the respective Strabag head offices and are to be collected from there from 13 to 15 May 2011 (Wednesday, Thursday: 9 a.m.- 4 p.m. and Friday 9 a.m. – 12 a.m ).
• The works of art of the Austrian participants must, without exception, be collected from the Art Lounge in the attic of the Strabag Haus from 13 to 15 May 2011 (Wednesday, Thursday: 9 a.m.- 4 p.m. and Friday 9 a.m. – 12 a.m ).
8. AWARD CEREMONY, STRABAG ART LOUNGE VIENNA: 30 JUNE 2011
The award ceremony and the collective exhibition of all prize-winning artworks will take place on 30 June 2011, 6:30 p.m. at the Art Lounge of the Strabag Haus. On the occasion of the collective exhibition of prize-winning works, a catalog is presented in German and English.
Afterwards the prize winners will be presented on the internet: Gallery of prize winners and nominees: www.strabag-kunstforum.at (art award)
INFORMATION / ADDRESS FOR SUBMISSIONS IN AUSTRIA, Vienna
Strabag Haus, Donau-City-Straße 9, 1220 Wien
Contact: Barbara Baum, Tanja Skorepa
Phone: +43 (0)1/ 22 4 22-1848
ADDRESS FOR SUBMISSIONS IN HUNGARY, Budapest
MAGYAR ASZFALT Kft.
Szegedi út 35-37
Contact: Sándor Pinczehelyi
Phone: +36 (70) 3846085
Phone: +36 (0)1/ 270-8582
ADDRESS FOR SUBMISSIONS IN SLOVAKIA, Bratislava
Mlynské Nivy 61 A
82518 Bratislava 26
Contact: Andrea Šarníková
Phone: +421(0)2/ 3262-1008
ADDRESS FOR SUBMISSIONS IN THE CZECH REPUBLIC, Prague
Na Bélidle 198/21
150 00 Praha 5
Contact: Jaroslava Trlicová
Phone: +420/ 222 868-195