Call for Papers
7th Conference of Female Art Historians 2002:
(New) Media: Mediality Cultural Transfer Gender
In cooperation with the Humboldt-University of Berlin, department of art history, the Lu Märten-Verein announces a conference on (new) media. The main topics will be mediality, cultural transfer, and gender. The conference will be held September 26th till September 29th, 2002 at the Humboldt University.
The requested contributions should deal with the production of visibility and gaze by the media; thereby historical media could be considered as well as the new ones. Digital media and the globalization of technologies and economic systems raise questions about cultural transfer, difference and homogenization of images. Analysis of the new media being allegedly gender-neutral but permeated by gender related metaphors require as well a critical review as the contributions of cyberfeminism of the 1980s and 1990s.
The following themes will be discussed in three plena and six sections:
– Mediality and feminist perspectives in art history / new media and politics in the different academic studies of pictures
– The making of gendered metaphors by the media: phantasmata, hierarchies, economies
– Body-images as medial effects
– Cultural transfer, disposal of pictures and dissolution of differences
– Cyberfeminism and gender studies of new media
– Incunabulum and video: pictorial media and gender in historical change
– New media old masters
– Authorship on the web
– High and low today and yesterday
Please hand in your offers by November 30th, 2001. Proposals should include the prefered session, the title and an exposé. On behalf of anonymity we request two pages: one should include your name, address, telephone number, email, and title of the lecture proposed; the second page should include title and exposé (please do not quote your name on this page!).
The conference is organized by Susanne v. Falkenhausen, Hildegard Frübis, Kathrin Hoffmann-Curtius, Sigrid Philipps, Ingeborg Reichle, Bettina Uppenkamp and Gabriele Werner.
Please send your proposals to:
c/o Dr. Hildegard Frübis
Humboldt Universität zu Berlin
Unter den Linden 6