LABoral Centro de Arte y Creacion Industrial is calling for proposals from curators and researchers to develop a research and production project at LABoral for two months during 2008.
LABoral Centro de Arte y Creacion Industrial is an interdisciplinary art centre created in Gijon, in the north of Spain, in the 2007. Its main objective is to become a research, educational, exhibition and production centre in the area of art, science and technology.
As part of its educational programme LABoral is establishing a new programme of residency aimed to curators and researchers who are interested in developing research or production as part of the lines of work of the centre related to the exhibition and production area. The current topics of research of the centre are: media and visual arts in general, gaming, video, robotics, architecture, design, ecology, science, technology, interdisciplinary and emerging forms of art.
The objectives of the call for curators in residence are:
– to initiate dialogue with external curators that are developing projects within the areas of interest of the centre
– to promote research and curatorial projects at LABoral within the Asturian region context and the industrial north of Spain
– to open up new possibilities of curatorial practice in the convergence of art, science, technology and industrial creation
The call is open to curators interested in the area of art and industrial creation. It is especially aimed at curators whose current research and interest deals with notions of knowledge dissemination through the exploration of emergent practices in art, as part of a general trend towards development of hybrid formats and media.
LABoral Centro de Arte y Creacion Industrial will support one curator in residence for two months which must be completed before January 2009. LABoral can offer financial and technical support as follows:
– Travel costs consisting of return airfare from the curator’s country of residency
– Apartment accommodation for the duration of the residency
– A monthly allowance of 1,500 euros (before taxes)
– Work studio at the art centre, as well as equipment and expertise to support the project
The curator in residence will have the opportunity and will be encouraged to participate in the development of LABterritorial, an on-going project that deals with notions of territory from a contemporary perspective, within the context of industrial heritage and regeneration strategies.
The submitted proposals must include a description of motivation and interest, proposed activities and objectives, biography and cv of the curator, as well as a description of how the project relates to LABoral. This material should not exceed 6 pages.
The proposals must be sent by email:
The submission will be reviewed by a committee of experts from LABoral.
– Deadline for applications: 30th May 2008
– Communication of selected curator: 20^nd June 2008
– The residency must be completed before January 2009
Contact email for queries:
LABoral Centro de Arte y Creacion Industrial (Spain)