OPEN CALL FOR RESIDENCIES FOR INTERNATIONAL ARTISTS
studio das weisse haus, a residency and studio program founded by the art association das weisse haus in 2013 in Vienna, is offering residencies for young international artists who work and / or have academic experience in the fields of fine arts, photography or media arts.
The residency is going to take place from September 22 until December 15, 2014.
We offer to each Artist in Residence:
– a monthly allowance of eur 300,- to cover basic living costs (we recommend to the candidates to look for additional funding options)
– an one-time contribution of eur 100,- to cover a part of the production costs for the residency project
– a cover of travel expenses: eur 200,- are assigned to residents coming from a country within Europe, eur 400,- are assigned to residents coming from a country outside of Europe
– a private room in the studio building (with shared bathroom facilities partly located one floor above the private rooms and a shared kitchen). Please take into consideration, that it is not a classical apartment, but rather a living area in a complex of working spaces.
– a studio space
Within our program, we aim to link the Artists in Residence to the Viennese art scene and provide them with an insight into the local institutional environment. By means of social events, presentations and guided tours, we connect the Artists in Residence with local artists, curators and the cultural community of the City of Vienna.
Open Studio Days:
Twice a residence period, we organize an Open Studio Day: On these days, the artists are invited to present their project/s (current project, former works, working process etc.) to the public.
We organize studio visits, admittance to various events, exhibition previews, guided tours and other events, that link the Artists in Residence to the local art community.
At the end of the residency period, the Artist in Residence will present a recent project in form of an exhibition, screening, lecture or by other means of presentation.
Please, read carefully through the Terms of Agreement (see below) and note, that while applying for the residency, you automatically agree with the specified conditions.
In case of interest in applying for the residency, please include following documents and information in your application:
– a document comprising following information: full name, date and place of birth, citizenship, address, phone number, e-mail
– a professional CV
– a portfolio of your artistic practice and realized projects
– a letter of motivation (max 2500 characters)
– a description of the project you intend to develop during your residency stay (incl. space requirement, goals, timeline) (max 2500 characters)
– samples of your work as a supplement to the printed portfolio (optional): video, music, sound (on a USB stick / CD / DVD), photos (printed or on a USB stick / CD / DVD, 72dpi, max. resolution: 1000 pixels), books, catalogues, samples of texts and other publications
The documents (including the portfolio) must be submitted as printouts.
Please do not include any originals and note that we do not return any application material.
We do not accept applications per email.
All applications will be reviewed by a board of experts. The members of the jury are:
– Olga Okunev (project coordinator at BKA, department for visual arts, architecture, design, fashion, photography, video and media arts)
– Eva Schlegel (artist and commissioner of the Austrian pavilion at the Biennale di Venezia 2011)
– Marlies Wirth (curator at MAK Vienna – Museum of Applied Arts, Vienna)
– Alexandra Grausam (director of das weisse haus and studio das weisse haus)
– Klára Stolková (project coordinator of studio das weisse haus)
Application deadline: July 6, 2014 (postmark)
The results of the Open Call will be announced until mid-August, 2014.
Please take into consideration, that we favour artists who haven`t spent a long-term stay in Vienna previously.
Please send your application per post to:
das weisse haus
Application for studio das weisse haus – Artist in Residence
1050 Vienna, Austria
For more information please visit:
In case of any qustions please visit the FAQ at our website:
In case you don`t find an answer, please contact:
Alexandra Grausam, Klára Stolková
postal address: Kriehubergasse 24-26, 1050 Vienna, Austria
TERMS OF AGREEMENT
– attestation of the health insurance – valid in Austria (for health and accident): The Artist in Residence must provide a proof of insurance (health/accident) to das weisse haus at the latest by the time of arrival. Upon failure to do so, studio das weisse haus will take out an insurance policy for him or her, but the Artist in Residence will be responsible for the insurance charges.
– studio das weisse haus requires 80% attendance during the residency time
– participation in the Open Studio Days and other events of studio das weisse haus program
– participation in the external program organized for the Aritsts in Residence (such as daytrips, guided tours in museums, studio visits, etc.)
– Furthermore, the Artist in Residence must comply with the house rules and regulations. Intentional damages to the building or studio space must be covered by the Artist in Residence and will be deducted from his or her allowance.
– The Artist in Residence confirms his/her obligation to provide a report of his/her artistic occupation during his/her grant at the end of his residency before leaving studio das weisse haus. This report ought to be composed according to the requirements of studio das weisse haus. The resident entitles studio das weisse haus to publish all contents of this report.
– studio das weisse haus requests the courtesy from the Artist in Residence to mention the studio program in his/her works of art that emerged during the residency, be it in terms of a credit, an acknowledgement or a logo placement.
– The Artist in Residence is hereby made aware of the fact that he/she is required to declare his/her income in Austria. Beyond the monthly grant of studio das weisse haus itself, studio das weisse haus is in no case liable for any claims resulting from these payments.
– In conclusion, studio das weisse haus explicitly declares that no contract is being signed between the Artist in Residence and the residency program of das weisse haus and that studio das weisse haus does not acquire any rights to the works by the Artist in Residence.
– studio das weisse haus pays the Artist in Residence a monthly allowance of 300,- Euro to cover basic living costs. This amount will be paid cash at the beginning of each month and a written confirmation of receipt must be signed by the Artist in Residence.
– studio das weisse haus will pay each Artist in Residence once 100,- Euro to cover the production expenses for the residency project.
– studio das weisse haus covers travel expenses of the Artists in Residence: eur 200,- are assigned to residents coming from a country within Europe, eur 400,- are assigned to residents coming from a country outside of Europe.
– A bedroom in a living area, a studio space (free of charge for the Artist in Residence), a shared kitchen and a shared bathroom facilities are provided by studio das weisse haus. Furthermore the Artist in Residence is responsible for keeping his/her own bedroom clean and tidy. When using shared facilities such as toilet, bathroom and kitchen, the resident shall keep them clean and tidy, with respect to the other residents sharing the living area.
– studio das weisse haus will offer a program of social events and activities that will introduce the resident to the local institutions and connect him/her with artists, curators and other creative practitioners.
– At the end of the residency there will be a variety of opportunities allowing the resident to present his/her work – the works elaborated within the residence period. During the Open Studio Days also former works may be presented.
– Please take into consideration that we document (picture and video) the studio and residence program and the stay of the residents, artists, curators for social media, website and press purposes.