Brno Artists in Residence is happy to announce an international Open Call for visual artists, curators or theoreticians of any nationality, gender or age for a two months residency stay between June – July 2023 hosted by the House of Arts Brno, in Brno, Czech Republic.
The residency is intended to provide a platform for focused work, research, study, activism, regeneration and free exploration of any kind. BAiR’s elementary philosophy is to create a space for free artistic expression without the pressure to produce a complete and significant presentation outcome within the time- and space-range of the residency. The wellbeing of our guests – be it artists, curators or theoreticians – is our top priority.
The Brno Artists in Residence program regularly hosts artists-in-residence since 2016 and is a key constituent of the House of Arts’ conceptual framework. A top floor of the House of the Lords of Kunštát, which is one of the two headquarters of the institution, has been refurnished to provide facilities for accommodation and work for artists in three studios.
The House of Arts Brno international residency program has been launched with the objective to develop opportunities for an exchange of ideas and opinions between the Czech and international art scene. Visual artists in various disciplines, curators and contemporary art theoreticians are invited to take part in the residency. BAiR’s residency program operates in close interconnection with the G99 gallery to create a space for focused work and presentation of up-to-date approaches in contemporary art.
DATE OF THE RESIDENCE
1st June 2023 to 31st July 2023
The Brno House of Arts provides:
- artistic stipendium: 40 000 CZK;
- accommodation and open studio space at House of the Lords of Kunštát in Brno, CZ;
- available technical equipment and workshops;
- production assistance and consultations by the employees of BAiR
- to stay in Brno at least 75% of time;
- take part in the Open Studios event;
- to elaborate a final report from the course of the residency
HOW TO APPLY
Applications must include the following documents:
ARTISTS: portfolio (PDF/max. 10 MB or a website link) & CV. For video files please provide links to your own website, or to video sharing platforms such as Vimeo, YouTube, etc. Please do not send links to video file downloads.
CURATORS/THEORETICIANS: CV & a short letter of intence or a description of a project one would like to work on during the stay at the residency
Artists’ applications may include a description of an intended project for the stay, although its involvement is not necessary.
- Applications are accepted only in English, Czech, and Slovak via email until July 31, 2022.
- Please send your application with subject “International Open Call – BAIR 2023” to:
- Results of the Open Call will be announced at the House of Arts Brno websites and at Facebook page of the Residences until August 31, 2022
- Selected candidate will be contacted by email about the results.
For more information, please contact Šimon Kadlčák at or Jan Langer at