Largo das Artes | Art Residency in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
Residency period: Jan – Jun 2015 (each residency lasts one month. Artists should state the month for which they are applying)
Largo das Artes International Art Residency Programme is designed for emerging artists wishing to immerse themselves in their work without the strains of everyday life. We provide them the space to explore practices, new ideas and materials; and to develop a project in Rio de Janeiro while receiving professional feedback and support.
Each month, four selected artists have the chance to live and work in Rio de Janeiro and to participate in weekly activities such as talks, meetings with curators, exhibition tours and LargoLab. Participants are also encouraged to propose talks and workshops, and to learn about Rio\’s art and cultural scenes.
Largo das Artes International Art Residency Programme encourages professional development, artistic exchange and international contacts. The support, networks and creative environment offered by us provide an opportunity for artists to interact, learn, research and experiment with new works, materials, and concepts.
The central aspects of our programme are:
• Studio at Largo das Artes
• Accommodation in a self-contained private flat
• Opportunity to propose workshops and talks
• Curatorial support through one-to-one meetings
• Weekly brainstorming sessions (LARGOLAB)
• Administrative and logistics support from Largo das Artes
• Open studio event at the end of the residency to introduce the
visiting artist to the public.
How To Apply (Deadline: 18th August 2014)
Applications should be emailed to with the subject \’Residency Application\’ and the following information in a PDF file:
1. A cover letter with name, email, address, phone number and nationality, stating the month in which you would like to take part in the programme (January, February*, March, April, May or June)
2. A statement outlining your research proposal, motivation, what you expect from the residency and what you hope to achieve (300 word max)
3. Artist\’s statement describing your practice and areas of interest in your work (300 word max)
4. Between 10 and 20 images of recent work, with dimensions, technique, title and date
5. A CV
Prospective artists in residence will be selected by a committee of artists, curators and Largo das Artes team. Creative individuals working in all fields may apply. The selection will be based on the artists\’ body of work, CV and research proposal for the Residency Programme. Largo das Artes will take into consideration the excellence of the proposal in relation to innovation and artistic experimentation.
* February might particularly suit artists who think their work could benefit from being in Brazil during the Carnival period. A special programming will be drawn up for this specific month. Artists will be able to explore and get inspired in the days and nights leading up to Carnival and also witness first hand this traditional party and amazing atmosphere, adornments, sounds and colors from samba schools to street parades.
Largo das Artes is surrounded by the historical city centre of Rio de Janeiro. There are many sites of interest around, which include the Real Gabinete (Portuguese Library), Paco Imperial, Candelária Church, the Old Cathedral of Rio de Janeiro, the modern-style Saint Sebastian\’s Cathedral and several landmarks of the \’Belle Époque\’ period, such as the Municipal Theatre and the National Library building. The \’Centro\’ area where Largo das Artes is located has also several museums and art institutions such as the National Museum of Fine Arts, MAR (Museu de Arte do Rio) and CCBB (Banco do Brasil Cultural Centre). There are also many shops and antique shops, a remarkable popular market (SAARA) and a number of traditional bars and restaurants around.
Info about accommodation
Each artist is allocated a private flat. Largo das Artes\’ four apartments are situated in a communal garden surrounded by the Atlantic Forest in Cosme Velho, a traditional neighborhood in the south side of Rio, adjacent to the Corcovado Mountain. They are equipped with essential furniture, linen and towels, refrigerator, small kitchen appliances and kitchenware. Wi-fi is also available. The accommodation is 30 minutes away from the city centre. There are many buses available and a subway station close by.
Language: English, Portuguese
Duration: 1 month
Cost: Fee is EUR 2,500 (EUR 700 registration fee to be paid upon acceptance + EUR 1,800 to be paid prior to arrival)
Artists willing to take part in our programme are expected to self-fund or apply for funding to cover costs involved. We are happy to support with invitation letters. Spouses or companions may stay at the same flat following a payment of EUR 150 per month. For more information about Largo das Artes, please visit our website: www.largodasartes.com.br. If you have any questions, do not hesitate to contact us through the following email address: